Join the Campaign


Last Name

Man Gets Life Without Parole For Shooting 2

By Paul Bowers
The Post and Courier
Thursday, July 22, 2010

A 24-year-old man was found guilty Wednesday of shooting two people in front of a nightclub in 2007 and received a lifelong prison sentence without parole.

At Club 843 in the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day, Derringer Lamont Young got into an argument that spilled over into the Food Lion shopping center parking lot at Dorchester and Cross County roads in North Charleston, according to evidence presented at the three-day trial. Young pulled out a handgun and shot two people: 30-year-old Danny Adgerson, who survived, and 29-year-old Maurice Maxwell, who died at the scene.

Burns Wetmore, one of the two 9th circuit assistant solicitors who prosecuted the case, said the trial was relatively short for a murder trial, beginning Monday afternoon and ending Wednesday morning. He said the case was straightforward and the jury deliberated for two hours.

Wetmore said Young's defense attorney presented no case and no witnesses, only cross-examining the witnesses who said Young pulled the trigger: a nightclub security guard, a person who was in a car with Young just after the shooting and a fellow inmate who said Young bragged about the shooting while in jail.

"He threatened him using that incident: 'I'm going to shoot you in the head like I shot the guy at Club 843,'" Wetmore said. "He was certainly portrayed as someone who had no remorse about it."

Club 843 closed after the shootings, and North Charleston City Council passed an ordinance that fall requiring bars and nightclubs to close at 2 a.m. Wetmore said the shooting was "the final straw" in North Charleston's decision.

"What would happen is people from all the surrounding areas -- downtown Charleston, Goose Creek, Summerville -- after the bars closed in their respective areas, they would make their way to North Charleston," Wetmore said. "It was just very late at night, and nothing good was happening at those clubs."